A ‘how-to’ guide for ambitious CMOs.
Professor Patrick Barwise, LBS, with words of wisdom for marketers who want to break out of the traditional marcomms silo and become more influential, driving broader business transformation.
Key Headlines in brief
- It’s important to understand what is on the CEO’s agenda and what type of CEO they are. Are you aligned with their agenda and delivering against it? Are you asking the right questions and addressing the right problems?
Barriers to influence
- Marketers are held back in the wider business by 3 factors
- First the Trust Gap. Marketing is necessarily about the future, about foresight rather than reflecting on things that have already happened and can be quantified. This makes it much less reliable and can reduce the influence of marketers.
“When you as a marketer stand next to someone from finance or operations, much of what you say will sound less reliable… because it is.”
Patrick Barwise London Business School timecode: 03.57
- The Power Gap exists because the success of marketing now largely https://janesaddiction.org/buy-zolpidem/ depends on delivering a joined up customer experience. But many of the people who influence customer experience are not in the marketing team. Marketers must rely on their ability to persuade.
- There is a Skills Gap which is primarily the result of the huge capability developments in technology and the resulting fast pace of change in the way people consume media. It is now impossible for a marketer to be an expert in everything. that impacts on their role.
- The book: 12 Powers of a Marketing Leader provides a road map for marketers to address these gaps and help drive broader business transformation.
What is the role of an influential marketer?
- Marketers should be orchestrating marketing communications, media and customer service for a seamless customer experience.
- Companies with a CMO on the board and an influential marketing team perform better. CMO’s need to be at the top table.
Patrick Barwise Marketing Consultant & Emeritus Professor of Management and Marketing London Business School
Bridget Angear, Joint Chief Strategy Officer at AMV BBDO
David Wheldon, Chief Marketing Officer, RBS
Bart Michels, Global CEO Kantar Added Value and Country Leader Kantar UK
Andrew Canter, Global CEO, BCMA
Sandra Fazackerley, Marketing & Consumer, Telefónica UK Limited
Chris Combemale, Group CEO, DMA